For self-contained housing – i.e. a flat for you and your household (if any)
- You must be registered with EdIndex, the Edinburgh common housing register.
- Advice on How to register and Application forms for EdIndex can be downloaded from the Key to Choice website or picked up at any Edinburgh Council Locality office.
- Post the form back to The EdIndex Team or hand in to a Council Locality office.
- Once registered you can bid for any vacancies that arise from most social housing landlords in Edinburgh – the Council, housing associations and co-operatives.
- Only Muirhouse HA does not use choice-based lettings. To apply for their housing you need to tick the location of their housing (Drylaw & Muirhouse) on the EdIndex form.
If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness
You must contact a Council Locality office straight away for advice and assistance. In addition it might be possible to stop you losing your current accommodation
If you have a medical reason for needing a move?
The EdIndex application form has sections to fill in about your health, mobility and support needs. You may be contacted by the EdIndex Assessment team for more information.
Are you a Starter or a Mover?
- You will be registered as a Starter or a Mover.
- Starters are people without a tenancy or have a tenancy with a private landlord.
- Movers are people who have a tenancy with the Council or a housing association or co-operative; or are in tied accommodation provided by your employer; or are owner-occupiers.
- Vacant properties will be advertised as either for Starters (S) only, Movers (M) only or for both Starters and Movers (SM).
Bidding for a property advertised on EdIndex Key-to-Choice
- A new edition of the list of available vacancies in posted online every Friday at 3.30pm, and bids can be placed anytime online until the following Friday at 3.00pm (in holiday periods the property list may be valid for two weeks instead of just one).
- You can search for vacancies by locality, size or type or view all vacancies.
- You can download a list of all vacancies available that week.
- There is a guide on how to place an online bid on their website – see their bidding guide.
- If you cannot get online to bid, you can phone 0131 529 5080.
- You can make up to three bids per week.
- The Key-to-Choice FAQ webpage has useful information,
Please note Lister is very small and has very very few vacancies each year. We recommend that those seeking housing apply for as many vacancies in as many locations as they will consider.
Applying for shared housing, a transfer or exchange
- Applying for shared housing for single people
- Applying for a transfer if you are an existing Lister tenant
- Applying for an exchange if you are an existing Lister tenant
Important Note For People With Dependent Children
At Lister when allocating 2 bed or larger properties, we do not allow two children of the opposite sex to share a bedroom, whatever their ages. Families with a boy and a girl would only be considered for a 3 bed flat. This is because most families stay with us for a long time and this is to avoid them having to move again as their children grow older.
Please do not bid for a property at Lister if it would mean mixed-sex sharing as your bid would not be considered by us.